Friday, October 23, 2009

You Watch That Stuff?

Yesterday I tweeted; “Bloggin abt the death of the gospel and wtching music vids on VH1 and MTV,yes I do watch those channels sometimes. No I don’t thnk its a sin.”



I thought I would get a lot more reaction out of that statement, my tweets tend to do that at times, but to my surprise there were only a few comments about that tweet.

I am going to expand on the topic of watching things your mother doesn’t watch in a moment but first I want to say that I am not going to “defend” this topic. But merely explain my thoughts and convictions. I find that explanation and discussion are more productive than defending which leads to arguing.

With all that said lets talk a little bit about the subject of watching, listening to, and reading things that are not made my Christians.

I believe in understanding the world. I want to know how the world operates, thinks, and acts. I want to know what the world enjoys, watches, and listens to.

More than the above statement I want to know Christ! I want to know God and all that makes Him, Him. I believe in God with my whole heart. More than that I want my love for the things of God to show in my everyday world.

Part of loving God is loving people who He created. Loving those people who God created means loving them even when they don’t think, act or believe like you.

Which brings us to why I watch things that you might not or things that my mother does not. I pay attention to things the world is doing to understand what they are thinking, feeling, and hoping for. I DO NOT let what they are doing change the way I believe or act. I want to be in this world (something I cannot escape without death) but I do not want to be of it.

I do have convictions of what I will read, listen to and watch, but those are mine not yours. I want to see the world with the view of Christ. Christ spent more time I assure you hanging with people who didn’t think like Him (at least right away) than He did boycotting Disney because they support gay rights.

I think you get my point, in the world because you are already here. Just not of it.

I am sure you have thoughts, I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment