Friday, January 15, 2010

Michael Cera and The Jersey Shore Cast

I get older and  MTV stays the same age…

In some situations, that seems like a good thing; however, I am having a problem with second-hand embarrassment for the inhibition-free, liquid courage drinking casts of new shows.

Case in point: Jersey Shore.

The appeal started from a MTV series called True Life – where Jersey Shore natives were first released on the world. From that point on, the budding relationship with Guidos/Guidettes and the American public blossomed, leading first to “My New Haircut” and then a hit reality series on MTV.

There has been some controversy over the show. Italian American groups are not happy about the way these particular “Guido Italian Americans” are presenting themselves on national television – Snooki clearly explains the Guido pride:

To be honest, the first time I actually saw a FULL episode of this show was this weekend.  Previously, the only part of the show I had seen was a scene that was never aired due to its controversial content – on the Huffington Post it shows “Snooki” getting punched in the face. See here.

Oh Snooki.

As I watched with my siblings and cousin, I felt my blood pressure rise, my face turn red and my anxiety hit. I had to leave the room and hang out with the “adults.”

I don’t know if it’s the awkward fist-pump dancing, steroid infused bodies, the Guido blowouts, or the orange skin that makes me more uncomfortable. I also don’t understand how this combination captures the attention of MTV viewers successfully enough for them to have a Season 2, but maybe I’m just getting to old for this stuff.

I refuse to watch anymore of the mind-numbing Season 1, so Season 2 is not in the cards for me either. Despite my disdain for this awkward “reality” series, apparently there is one episode in which Michael Cera joined the cast and learned the “Italian-American” ways. I had no desire to watch the entire episode, but since I do like Michael Cera, I needed to satisfy my curiosity. So I looked it up online and was left with a little bit of a laugh:

Jäger Bombs.

[Via http://kissied.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment